020 7582 3000
Reduce your utility costs
Utilities can account for a sizeable chunk of your firm's costs, but you might find that you can make considerable savings in this area. Here are some cost-cutting ideas:
- Offer bonuses and other incentives for noteworthy conservation, and circulate copies of your firm's energy bills to remind employees of your commitment to reducing costs in this area
- Ask employees to turn off and cover up all equipment at the end of every day where appropriate - this not only saves power but also extends the life of your equipment
- Install time clocks to control heating, air conditioning, and lighting
- Turn the temperature setting on your thermostats down during the winter and, if you have air conditioning, up during the summer
- Your offices could be over-lit in areas such as storage rooms, south-facing offices, or the staff room. Remove bulbs or fluorescent tubes to bring lighting down to an appropriate level
- Encourage employees to turn off fluorescent lights when they leave a room for more than fifteen minutes, and incandescent lights if they leave for three minutes or more
- Reduce bulb wattage wherever possible
- Replace standard fluorescent and incandescent lights with high-efficiency fluorescent light, which gives the same light output and can save up to 80% of the energy according to the energy trust.
- Install 5-minute shut-off switches in stock rooms or other little-used areas
- Appoint a specialist to review your utility bills in case you are overlooking something
Much 'green' advice results in cost reductions, exploring such web sites as the Energy Saving Trust and Business Link could produce cost saving ideas including:
- Make energy conservation and reduction of C02 emissions a factor in capital expenditure decisions, i.e. computer equipment, cars, lighting and insulation.
- A company that operates a fleet of more than 50 vehicles is eligable for a free Green Fleet Review which could cut costs as well as vehicle emissions. If the fleet is smaller then similar advice is available by phone on 0845 6021425.
The Business Link web site offers a menu based advice service for many different business activities aimed at reducing costs.
- News desk
- About us
- Budget 2013
- Year end tax guide
- Minimising capital taxes
- Tax efficient investments
- Financial planning and strategy guide 2013/14
- Tax planning for business owners
- Tax rates and allowances
- Offshore issues update
- PAYE and NI
- IR35 Centre
- Tax and business calendar
- Budget archive
- The Finance Bill 2011
- Regulation changes from April 2012